Tonight I have put together a card that uses a bit of old product combined with some current products. But regardless of materials, the thing I like about it is the layout – simple but versatile. It could be used for a bright fun card, an elegant sympathy card, a classy wedding invitation or whatever else you could think of.
The layout idea is not mine, I noticed it when flicking through the annual catalogue looking for inspiration for this week’s CASEing the Catty challenge. This challenge is a great one to play along with. For a start all the card inspiration comes from the catalogue. You can think about it as much or as little as you like – CASE something exactly as it appears in the catalogue, CASE the colour combo, CASE the layout – whatever you like. Also – you don’t need a blog to participate. It’s a Facebook based challenge so if you can only squeeze in a card and not a blog post (or you don’t have a blog) you can just upload it to Facebook and you’re done. The card I have CASEd is shown below in yellow.
I really liked this layout, the vellum over the DSP creates a subtlety that in turns creates focus on the image on top. The DSP provides some background interest without taking over completely. The sentiment on the card in the catalogue is from a set called ‘Around the Corner’ which contains a few sentiments designed to be stamped in the corner. A cute idea I think, something a bit different.
I have used a peek-a-boo peach (retired) card base with a piece of DSP from the Picture Perfect Party stack (retired) that was in the most recent occasions catalogue. For my square focal image, I have cut out the largest stitched square in whisper white. I don’t have the ‘Around the Corner’ stamp set, so instead I stamped a sentiment from the Picture Perfect Birthday stamp set in the corner. This is easily achieved by masking off half the sentiment, inking up and stamping and then doing the second half of the sentiment.
I punched some balloons out using the Balloon Bouquet punch. One is punched in peekaboo peach, one from vellum and then the Berry Burst and Lemon Lime twist balloons were punch from the balloon image DSP in the same Picture Perfect Party stack I mentioned above. I like that it gives some depth to the balloons without me lifting a finger! I finished with a few sequins that were also left over from the occasions catalogue.
A fun card, with a layout that I will definitely be able to use in the future.