Something a little more 3D today, a mini accordion album that I made as a ‘handbag’ book for my parents, filled with photos of my two little boys.
I first saw these albums on YouTube being made by a lady named Kay (check out her video here). I have since seen these all over the place made by lots of different people so I am not sure who came up with the original, but I got the idea from Kay.
I loved the simplicity of these albums, the size and how quickly it all came together. Once I decided to make one, I had to find somewhere I could get small sized photos printed. That is when I came across Pocket Prints, a company based in Melbourne which had a whole heap of good reviews to their name. Whilst the prints aren’t as cheap as getting standard sized photos printed at your local department store, you can get different sizes printed from here and the quality is very very good. Their service is also really fast and friendly and they were quick to get back to me with a couple of queries I had. I ordered the ‘Mini Squares’ which are 3″ x 3″ sized photos.
Now that I had my photos locked in, I could calculate the card and paper sizes / quantities that I needed. The book is a 7 page book with spaces for 13 photos. You could also do a combination of photo and pocket pages (for tags etc) if you wanted to use the album as a bit of a journal.
This photo shows the inside of the album and you can see the pages form an accordion or zig zag pattern. The materials you will need (keeping in mind I have assumed 3″ x 3″ photos) are as follows:
- For the cover: 2 pieces of cardstock measuring 6 1/8″ x 3 3/4″, scored at 5 3/4″
- For the pages: 7 pieces of cardstock measuing 5 1/2″ x 3 1/2″, score 6 of them at 1″ (on the 5 1/2″ side)
- For the decorating DSP:
- 6 pieces 3/4″ x 3 1/4″
- 5 pieces 3 1/4″ x 3 1/4″
- 8 pieces 4 1/4″ x 3 1/4
- 2 pieces of Ribbon
- DSP / Card / Embellishments to decorate the front and add to inside pages.
I have made a video on how I put it all together – but a disclaimer – I have never made a video before this one so it was a bit of a learning curve! Making some videos is something I am interested in learning more about so stay with me and I’m sure I will add to my collection in due course. But the basic steps in putting the album together are as follows:
- Glue to the two skinny flaps on the cover pieces together to make the outside album cover (I like the front piece to sit over the top of the bottom piece)
- Place the unscored page onto your work surface. Take a second page and add glue to the 1″ flap and stick this down onto the bottom page so that the flap is at the right hand side.
- Take the next page, add glue to the 1″ flap and stick this down to your previous page, only this time with the flap on the left hand side
- Continue glueing your pages togther until you have done them all, alternating which side the flap is on each time. This will result in the accordion of pages.
- Glue your ribbon to the inside of the covers.
- Stick your pages down onto the inside of the back cover (you can decide at this point whether you want your first page to open from the right or left)
- Stick in your photos, decorate the front cover, the inside cover and add any embellishments you want to the pages. You are done!
All the DSP I used both on the pages and on the front cover is from the Share What You Love suite. Once side is mat and the other has gorgeous pearl accents. I finished the cover with a sentiment from Colorful Seasons Stamp set and some pearls, which are also new and from the Share What you Love suite.
I hope you like this album, definitely give it a try and let me know how you go.
Here is the vide of me putting this album together: