Merry Little Christmas – One Sheet Wonder

Packs of DSP make me a little nervous. It’s almost like I don’t want to cut into them incase I make a mistake and that piece is then ‘useless’. As I start to make more cards I am starting to learn that there are not many mistakes that are permanent ones, most of them are opportunities to embellish, or a prompt to get a bit more creative and change your design.

A ‘One Sheet Wonder’ seemed a good way to cut into a sheet and see what I could do with it. I found a template on pinterest that pointed me to this page on Craftsy.com. The reason I liked this template so much is that it wasn’t too fiddly and it allowed space for large sentiments. And since most of these cards were going to be christmas cards I wanted to use the Carols of Christmas stamp set from Stampin’ Up! – and those sentiments are large!

img_2141

I used whisper white card bases for most of them, there are a couple in Old Olive. Most of the time I used the green tartan side of the DSP, because I love it. It’s something a little bit different christmas, and I think the Old Olive and Black go really well together.

I cut out mats for all the DSP, using mostly basic black and a little bit of old olive, and then I started playing around with the layout on the cards to see how I would place my sentiments. This is where the the template became more of a guide for me. All the pieces were sized to fit on a US standard sized card front. Our card fronts are sized slightly differently here in Australia. Not a big deal – just a bit of trimming here and there. But it made me reconsider some of the layouts that were used in the original blog. As you will see in the photos below, some of my layouts are exactly the same, and some have been changed around a bit.

img_2140

I also did a bit less stamping directly to the card front, instead opting to stamp on a piece of card and then use dimensional to attach. I did this for a couple of reasons – one I like adding a bit of dimension – not so much that you need to pay extra postage – but just a little. Secondly I was a bit too chicken to stamp on the card front when I had already stuck down the other bits of DSP, I didn’t want to make a mistake.

In the end I finished with 14 cards – I realise there are only 13 shown in the photos though. This is because I took some photos to share on a Stampin’ Up! page and one of the cards I made used a non-stampin’ Up stamp so I didn’t include it. I did mean to go back and add it in to the photos for this blog….but life is life and I didn’t get back to it!

Hope you like the cards, leave me a comment if you do 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s